Have you heard of sleep apnea? Probably not yet, but, the truth is, the illness is so prevalent in many people. But, the problem is that most of the people are not aware of the danger of it. Here, we need to discuss first sleep apnea and what causes it.
What is sleep apnea?
Sleep Apnea is a disorder that is caused by the interruption of a person’s breathing while asleep.
While asleep, untreated sleep apnea will cause the person to stop breathing 100 times or more, while on his sleep. This may result in the brain, and the body is not getting enough oxygen.
People with this disorder have several times the risk of death and heart attack.
The two types of sleep apnea
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea(OSA). This is the more common and this the result of the blockage of the airway. When this happens, there is a shortage of oxygen towards the brain and may result in death.
- Central Sleep Apnea. In this case, the airway is open, but, brain failed to signal the muscle s to breath, because of problems in the respiratory system.
Who are at risk of the disorder?
People who are at significant risk to have the disorder are:
- Male. Male are more susceptible to acquiring sleep apnea than female. If you are a male, the possibility is high.
- The Overweight. Overweight also is an excellent actor to acquire the disorder.
- Old age. Old age will also have the significant risk of sleep apnea.
- Bigger neck size. People with big neck size, will likely to develop the disorder.
- Large tongue and tonsils.
- Heredity. If you have a family history of sleep apnea, you are a significant risk to develop one.
- Nasal Obstruction. Nasal obstruction may also cause the development of sleep apnea.
These are the symptoms of sleep apnea
- Dryness of throat. Sometimes, you will notice waking up at night having a dry throat. It is a clear symptom of sleep apnea.
- Loud snore. Loud snoring at night is also another symptom.
- Gasping or choking sensation. Have you experienced waking up the night with a choking feeling? It is another symptom of sleep apnea.
- Energy-deficient. Lack of energy during the daytime, which result in less productiveness.
- Sleepiness while driving. This is the feeling where you feel sleepy while driving.
- Morning headaches. Waking up in the morning with a headache frequently is maybe caused by sleep apnea.
- Inactive sex. Decreased in sexual desire is another symptom of the disorder.
- Wake up frequently at night. The frequency of waking up at night is another probable symptom.
Is their available treatment of sleep apnea in the Lancaster area?
Yes, there is. In the Lancaster area, there is one dental center that offers sleep apnea treatment and so with other dental services. Lancaster Dental Care Associates is located in Lancaster and have the reputation to vouch for. They have everything you require of an excellent dental facility. Managed by experts in the dental field, you will get the value of your money, with the kind of services they offer. Go through their site at www.drsaidara.com. You will be amazed by what they have in store for you.